Friday, October 14, 2011

Improper use of the word literally

Lately, I have heard the word literally used inappropriately too many times to count. It aggravates me. Don't use words if you don't know their appropriate function!!

When something literally happens, it actually happens. If something hasn't happened, literally is not the correct word to use. Don't do it, or you will drive me crazier than I already am.


You shouldn't say things like "My eyes literally popped out if my head!" Your eyes stayed firmly attached and intact in your eye sockets, and you know it.  They didn't literally pop out, they figuratively popped out.

You may believe that using the word literally is a way to enhance the significance of your story. It is not. It makes you look ignorant if you use it incorrectly.

Please choose your words appropriately, or I will literally send the grammar police after you and throw you in the idiot jail for a life sentence.

2 comments:

  1. Oatmeal did a great comic strip about it :) http://theoatmeal.com/comics/literally

    ReplyDelete
  2. I literally Lol'd!! I did not actually ROFL, but I almost did!

    ReplyDelete